Friday 24 August 2012

...Happy Harping Days 4+5

A man with music coursing through his system to me is so sexual. It's beautiful, brilliant and awe inspiring. I mean proper music, not music made on a machine or the shite that's passing for pop these days but I mean proper proper music. When someone picks up an instrument and puts their story, their life through it. With guitars and drums and soul. What ever happened to soul? Not soul music, just like putting your soul into a record. Making music that your proud to say you made and that generations after you will be connecting to. Who really is going to be connecting to Niki Minaj's, well, Niki Minaj's anything. You won't look back on that in 10 years and say "man that music was poignant, it inspired a whole generation to feel something". The only thing that generation will be feeling is chlamydia. What happened to the music that made you stand up and want to do something, want to feel something, be somebody and not somebody famous or wealthy or hugely endowed, just somebody. So you could look in the mirror and feel proud to call that reflection yours. *sigh* will it ever be that simple? Argh rant over.

So I'm on the last day of solitude. It's been bliss. I haven't had any raucous parties or been so freaked out I've had to sit in a corner of the room clutching a knife....and the cat. There was one night where it nearly happened but I blame "Attack the Block" and my nervous disposition. After my Harry Potter fest I decided to watch all the films I have recorded on the old sky plus box and I started with "Attack the Block". It's very good for what it is and yes I was slightly freaked out by the weird alien things, so much so that when the stairs creaked I jumped out of my skin and went bounding towards the living room door slamming it shut. I'm joking, it wasn't that bad....Next came "The Reader" with Kate Winslet and if you haven't seen it, I think you should it's a really good film. I'm not gonna spoil it but it's fantastic and I can clearly see why Kate Winslet won an Oscar. Today I watched "The Crazies" not as scary as I thought it would be but I'll wait until the wee hours of the morning to see whether or not it has truly affected me - if you know what I mean. I also watched (promise this is the last one) Fleetwood Mac in Boston hence where the above rant came from. It was brilliant and made me want to go to a concert again or a festival. So bummed I can't go to Reading Fest this year, the line up looks absolutely amazing. All those who are there have fun!

The solitude ends today. I'm sad to be saying goodbye to it but I've learnt I can live well on my own and if I could afford to live by myself I totally would! It's given me a lot of time to reflect. I'm leaving in 3 weeks and I'm shitting myself, I'm more nervous about the prospect of change but in my time of reflection (what I'm also calling my week of solitude) I think it will be a brilliant chance to grow as a person *vom* but it's true. i found a video on YouTube about the place I'll be staying. Someone who's gone before me decided to put it up. I'm still not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I watched it yet. I feel like I've taken away some of the mystery (damn you YouTube) but also semi prepared myself for what's to come. If you wanna check it out, this is the link, copy and paste it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b56ZlqtNPA

I'm gonna miss a lot of stuff, a lot of people, my cousin has told me to cram in as much food, culture, love as possible before I leave, so that is precisely what I'm going to do. Starting with a whole packet of chocolate fingers and ending with a lot of love from my favourite people. You will all be missed but hopefully Cambodia will welcome me in with her arms wide open.


Heres hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment