Sunday 10 July 2011

...Joe

So this is the first chapter of the infamous novel. It's a couple of weeks before the "deadline", but I already had it written so I thought why not?

The story is told through the main character Joe and it's about his life and how easy it is to get wrapped up in yourself and others etc. I'm also trying to explore the idea of infatuation and what happens when you take it just a step too far. This isn't a great description, I'm hoping the work will speak for itself. Remember this is only the 2nd draft! Enjoy.

Untitled

I feel like I’m constantly holding my breath. As if the air around me is stagnant, and if I breathe it in, I’ll never be able to breathe again.

***

Chapter One

As she lay completely still in my arms, I wondered, is this it? Is this all there is? Am I not able to offer her anymore then a quick fuck underneath the stars in a strange man’s garden? Why me? Why this? I can feel myself getting angrier and angrier – but what’s the point, it always comes back to this, back to her, back to this sordid liaison. I can’t lie like this, not with her, not any longer.
“Anna” I whisper “Anna, wake up, it’s 3am, and I need to go.”
She doesn’t stir, so I brush her hair gently away from her face in a desperate attempt to wake her.
“Anna – fuck baby I can’t leave you here by yourself.”
“Go without me” she mumbles sleepily.
With desperation so strong it even makes me sick “You know I can’t do that”. But why can’t I – why can’t I leave her here?

She turns away from me and I know that once again I’m going to have to carry her – to play the hero, not that she’ll remember in the morning – she never remembers in the morning.

It’s a struggle but I manage to get her into my car. We had so many good times in this car, but I have no time to reminisce, she has that look on her face and I know that once she wakes up… I try not to think about it, I put my foot on the gas and head for home.
“Joe?” Anna’s awake and by the sound of it, she’s in a good mood.
“Yea hun?”
“Why the fuck haven’t you strapped me in?”
Are you serious, are you FUCKING SERIOUS? I try to mask the anger that’s rising in me, but my face is burning red and my palms are sweating.
“Well?” she says, with that look, I fucking hate that look.
“Sorry babe, I wasn’t thinking”, but I was thinking, so clearly, so very, very clearly.
“Well” Anna says slowly, “what if we had an accident and YOU ran into a car, and MY head went through the windscreen? How would you feel then?” She spits that last sentence out with so much malice that I can practically feel the upholstery melting and all I can do is wish. Wish that what she was saying would come true and I would be so grateful. Grateful that she would finally stop looking at me, stop looking at me for good. She’s waiting for an answer, I can tell, but there isn’t one I could give her that could make this situation any better. I try and concentrate on the road, but her eyes are staring at me, bulging, demanding an answer that I just can’t give. Eventually she turns towards the window, obviously pissed. I reach to turn the radio on, but just as quickly she turns it off. For the rest of the ride we drive in silence, a sound so familiar between the two of us. I pull up to her house slowly with the lights off, the same as always. 
I turn towards Anna trying my best to reconcile her mood, “Baby?” I reach out to touch her arm but she instinctively pulls it away from me as if she’s just been bitten.
“Anna?” 

Without saying a word she gets out and slams the door. Fuck, she knows not to do that, she knows how fragile Lola is, she was there when I, when we. I can’t think about it. 

I take my cue to leave from the oh-so ritualized curtain twitch her parents have perfected and crank up Lola, hearing her purr appreciatively - at least I can turn something on. I decide to take the long way home and I find myself going past our old hangouts, on the good side of the river as we; me and Anna, used to call it. I slow down when I reach Eddies and The Hole, each facing each other off on the corner and completely identical in look, but were two of the best places to get in if 1. You’re under age and 2. You’re under age. It’s not the greatest place in London but the drinks are cheap and the music’s good, as long as you don’t mind the sweatbox feel and the smell of 24hr musk. The Hole was the first place I took Anna, we were 16 and it was our first date. I can still remember how close our bodies were, the taste her lips left on mine, the way her breathe was so hot on my neck. 

My daydreams interrupted by an inpatient driver behind me, clearly pissed off at my 5mph driving. I wave him round me and he zooms past as if the devil himself were chasing him. I take one last look at The Hole and catch the eye of the bouncer, who by now is looking at me suspiciously.

By the time I get home the sun’s threatening to rise and all I can think about is my bed and how much I want to wrap myself in my duvet and sleep for an eternity. Everything aches. This night has been too long and it seems by the look of it it’s going to get a little longer. I check that Lola’s okay and head towards the shadowy figure sitting on my doorstep, fear rising swiftly in my throat. I quickly scan through all the possible midnight callers and finally realise who it is and breathe a sigh of relief; I wasn’t prepared for a midnight tussle.
“Jonie?” I say, already knowing the answer, but my misty mood needs confirmation.
“Joe?” she says slowly “Where the fuck have you been?”
“Jonie…I….umm, well” I say stumbling to find the right words that don’t include Anna, back garden and drunken sex.
“Oh God” Jonie says already knowing what I’ve been trying to hide; “You were with her weren’t you? For fuck sake Joe she’s playing you, she-“
Before she can finish I try to cut in, but Jonie’s too quick for me, tricks like that don’t get past her. She raises her hand to me and I can tell she’s carefully picking her words, you know, for maximum impact.
“Look Joe, she’s a fucking whore beast, for fuck sake she, no, you know what, I’m done talking” she wipes her hands in a signifying gesture and stands gesturing towards the door with her head – the only way Jonie can, that it’s now time to go in and crash. 

I laugh quietly to myself, whore beast – that’s a new one, Jonie must have been storing that one, waiting for the right time to use it. I watch Jonie struggling with the great mound of bags she has and forget that there must be a reason to why she’s here, again.  
“Jonie, what happened?” I say tentatively, picking up a few bags, trying to guess the heaviest.  
“Alex kicked me out, she says that she needs time to find herself” Jonie says mockingly, putting on a posh accent she continues “and how can one possibly find oneself whilst being, attached” spitting out the last word bluntly she turns away from me, trying to hide her face, but I can see fresh tears glistening in her already puffy eyes.
“Jo, I’m sorry, but you know that this, that she’s, not good for you” I say, trying my best to make my voice sound convincing, but I can’t stand this; I can’t stand seeing Jonie like this. In fact I’ve only seen Jonie like this once and that was in Year 9 when Lucy Mulgrave spread a vicious rumour that Jonie was a serial slag, since then she’s never let her emotions run away from her. Seeing her like this breaks my heart. 

Alex and Jonie have been “going out” for nearly 3 years now and she always pulls this on Jonie, every time something attractive comes along, Alex spits out this rehearsed speech like a well trained actor. Find herself my arse, she’s found herself alright and it took six different women to help her. 

“Joe, please” Jonie says nearly sobbing, as if somehow she’s in my head and has heard my stream of consciousness, “I just want to go to bed and forget about this, about this whole evening” with that she turns and faces the door, as if it will miraculously open, just by sheer willpower. 

I know this isn’t over, but for now I don’t push it. I slowly stand up behind her, my muscles aching for the warmth of my bed, and open the door, wondering where her keys have gone to, but by the looks of it she picked up everything but them. 
“Could you grab the rest of my bags” Jonie says, trying to stifle her rising hysteria.

I nod at her, she knows that it’s a given but I guess in the state she’s in, she needs to know that one thing in her life is a sure thing. I pick up the rest of her bags and give Lola the old once over to check that there’s no one dodgy hanging round and make my way up the stairs to my well deserved rest. 

By the time I reach my room Jonie’s already curled up on the good side of the bed, facing away from me and I realize that in this light, in this moment of time, she’s the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. I feel my heart twinge and I wonder why, but I shake it off, it’s just me being sentimental I guess, at least I hope it is. I go up to the window and watch the sun poking its head out of the clouds and I slowly close the curtains on her sepia silhouette. Time for a cup of tea I think and make my way down to the kitchen. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, welcome to the circle! I'm just going to jump right in with my comments:

    I thought this was a strong first chapter, the relationship between Jonie and Joe acts as a compelling hook to pull the reader into subsequent chapters. I am also interested in learning more about Joe's motivations when it comes to sleeping with Anna. At the moment her character comes across as utterly vile, but I wonder if there's more to it than that, which might be revealed further on in the narrative?

    Are your protagonists a group of old school friends? The emphasis seems to be on both their current and past relationships, which could make for a very interesting study on the nature of social contact. However, this genre has already been dealt with by a large number of writers, so make sure you have something fresh to say, in order to add your own unique twist to the drama.

    I was particularly struck by your sentence structure, especially the way you often repeat phrases. As you use first person narration, this repetition has the effect of emphasising the sense of emotional confusion at the heart of Joe's character. It gives the reader a good insight into the chaotic nature of his psyche and compliments his actions within the chapter.

    However, The difficulty with writing in first person perspective is that your focus is very narrow. You have to look at the story through the eyes of your narrator. This sometimes means you forfeit all full view of other main protagonists. I would suggest perhaps trying to write a few subsequent chapters from other characters' point of view. Not only will you find your characters become more rounded as a result, but you can give the reader conflicting views of the same events, which will add to the realism of the piece.

    All in all, a good opening chapter. Is this something that you have already planned, plot-wise? Or is it something you are thinking of expanding in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Thanks for welcoming me again and thank you for your feed back it is very helpful. I was struggling myself with writing it in the first person, I don't want it to sound like it's all on the same note and thus the repition! I wanted it to signify how undettled Joe's mind is.

    Saying that the 2nd chapter gives a lot more insight into Jonie and Joe and sheds some light on their relationship and both their past relationships.

    I did think about writing Jonie in and experimented with a chapter in her voice but I felt it didn't work. However the sentence before chapter 1 begins is supposed to be her conscious stream of thought. A sentence will come at the beginning of each chapter.

    The plot is loosely planned - I know where I want it to go but the middle's a little fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, where is the rest!!!!??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's coming! I'll post it on Sunday just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't sure about this BUT I do appreciate someone else writing a serial as that is my mode of choice.

    Firstly, well done on the use of slang! Whore beasts? YES! And my, the serial slag has got to be something that enters London lexicon, oh please start using it just so it has a chance! Did u know that the word quiz originally meant puzzle? That it was a word introduced to mean such and by a man by way of a bet? Some Irish guy got street urchins to daub the word quiz all over ireland in the hope, but alas...no one could guess what it meant and thus its new meaning is what we associate with it today.

    Hmmm, I went off track there!

    Right, please bear in mind that names ought to be dissimilar wherever possible - Jonie and Joe can have the inadvertent effect of causing readers to get confused if not skim read.
    Another issue is the lack of description of people? I can be frightfully spare but do work description into the doing actions and the behaviourisms (When Spiderfingers smiles I describe his horrible teeth which remind the reader he is in fact homeless).

    Once again the dialogue is good but give us images to look at? Not bad for a second draft and i'm sure once you've finished it with ours and other comments acknowledged, well - it will shine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly what's the London lexicon?

    Secondly, I've been thinking about the lack of description, it's posed a problem for me, I wasn't sure whether or not to add loads of descriptive narrative about what Jonie and Joe both look like and also why their names are so similar becuase I hate it when writers add too much description - I guess I've just gone in the opposite direction!

    It is a very good point to take on board and has got my brain juices flowing - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a writer you've got something, nicely written, though your voice is a little vague at mo. But then again it is only the first ch. no doubt it wil come through as the plot does.

    Admittadly Im a little dubious about this as I dont really read YA stories about relationships and angst. But this is more of a reflection on me than you!

    LOL I am one of those who needs at least a very basic description of what the charas look like, otherwise I have a grey amphamorous blob in my head whilst I read, then usually get disjointed when its finally revealed what they do look like. You could easily work this into what you already have by adding a few choice words here and there.

    "so I brush her SHIMMERING BLONDE/CURLING BRUNETTE/FRIZZY PURPLE hair gently away from her face"
    This chapter has enough questions raised in it to make the reader continue, to find out whats going on. Whats the deal with Lola and the memory best avoioed? Why does Joe put up with Anna if the sex isnt that good, she's a bitch, and he fantasises about killing her?

    What genre would you say this is? The genre would help give a hint as to what direction you will be taking this.

    Joe's in love with his lesbian bff? Mmmmm, this has been RomCom'd to death, be wary, I hope you go somewhere interesting with it; exploring sexuality or somesuch. *fingers crossed* Jonie doesnt suddenly grow a fondness for cock.

    Totally with he others on adding more description, for first person it can be really handy to think of what and why they would notice something in there surroundings, what meaning do they associate with it, symbolism etc.

    "so I brush her SHIMMERING BLONDE/CURLING BRUNETTE/FRIZZY PURPLE hair gently away from her face"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!

    Cheers for your comment Ashley, I'm def going to add more description into the opening chapter - theres a lot more throughout the chapters but I guess it's better to have it in the beginning so the reader has a clear idea who's talking.

    I'm not sure what genre it is to be honest, I just write. If I had to pen it down I would say fiction (obviously) but stuck between young adult and adult? I don't know if theres too much swearing/graphic description in it for young people.

    You find out more about Joe and Annas relationship as the story progresses and don't worry Jonie def doesn't suddenly develop a fondness for cock :) It would be totally out of character! Saying that a lot of writers do that and I find it ruins a story and yes tends towards to RomCom (best friends falling in love with each other blah blah blah).

    You've given me a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why does Joe put up with Anna? I really want to know the answer to this. She’s clearly a bitch to him. I really hope, though, that she doesn’t change her mind about the way she treats him and becomes little-miss-housewife all of a sudden. I’m kind of hoping she dies, lol. (To mean?)

    I’ve got a feeling about the whole Joe / Jonie relationship but I don’t want to say anything in case I’m WAY off the mark, and I probably am. I would say that you don’t need to explain why their names are so similar in the first chapter. Joe doesn’t even need to tell the reader, another character could ask later on. But I think there needs to be a little bit of description for all three characters in the very first chapter. Especially in a novel cause you’re setting up everything the reader needs to know in order to move forward with the story.

    Also, which side of the river would you say was the good side?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The good side of the river is the south! But that could just be me being bias (I have lived on both sides however!)

    I'm hearing the cry for more description and I will honour it - I think you all have touched on an important point.

    In the next chapter it is explained why Joe puts up with Anna and no I have no plans to change her - she may even get a little bit worse, who knows?!

    Your idea for explaining the names is a good one - I'm gonna steal it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for south! I am really biased though, because I've only ever lived south of river.

    I'm going to read the next chapter to find out why Joe tollerates her. And I'm kind of hopefull Anna does get worse.

    lol, that's okay. :) Steal away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More strength to Sarf Landan! :-)

    Hey there, sorry I haven't posted/commented on your piece before now. Thought I'd start at the beginning with this Chapter before addressing your most recent one.

    First off, your characterization is top notch. I hate to sound like a whiny bloke but 'Anna' sounds like several girls I have had the fortune/misfortune to encounter. Her uncaring resigning to staying out in the open and so having to carry her, and the bitching over the seat-belt when a) she could have done it herself and b) she's too smashed to have even got in the car herself, perfectly aggravating and very real.

    Your 'stream of consciousness' style is very well done - It can often get bogged down in meanderings and non-sequiturs, however the way you have delivered it really puts you behind the character's eyes.

    A great first chapter that beautifully and simply sets up a couple of simple yet compelling and empathic plot lines that makes the reader want for more story and detail.

    And a very welcome to The Circle. Now, time for Chapter 2!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, I'm glad your feelings towards Anna are so strong, that was the aim. She's just gonna get worse - watch this space!

    ReplyDelete