Saturday 17 March 2012

...Random Ramblings

This weeks ramblings are prompted by my walk to work. Yes I am lucky enough to walk to work. It takes 20 mins there and 20 mins back. The walk down is a lot easier then the walk back. Why? I hear you cry, because it's all up hill on the way back. Bloody sucks. At least my thighs are getting a jolly good work out.

Anyway, on my way to work I see the general commers and goers, the school kids, the office workers and the ones who are coming back from the night before (how I miss those days!). What gives me endless entertainment are the ones who are running late and are "running". I call it "running" because it is hilarious. They are blatantly late and obviously panicking but yet they decide to do some sort of strange half run half slide along the pavement at an attractive yet completely pointless pace and then, dear friends, after a few yards of this, I don't know shall we call it a "slun" (better amalgamations of the word are welcome) they stop!! As if that little slun got them any closer to catching the train! It's beautifully pointless and it makes my morning. I don't know about you but if I'm running late I bloody well run! Fuck looking attractive I need to catch my train! Right well enough of the apostrophes, I'll go back to my usual mellow state in a minute.

So back to my walk to work. Once I reach the station and pass all the non slunners. I have to enter the underpass. Yes it is as sinister and as deadly as every other underpass in London, nay Britain. Especially Bristol. Or so I've heard. Ok it's not that sinister, but it does have a pretty sinister smell to it everyday and everyday it smells different. Now I have quite a keen sense of smell and my poor little nostrils cannot take this violation everyday. I could walk round but then that adds on another 10 mins to my lovely 20 minute jaunt. Where am I going with this? I don't know, but you started reading this and I know your hoping for an end point or at least an exit cluase coming up soon. Alas you're not in luck, I will just keep going and like the title suggests this is a ramble and unlike the musings there probably won't be much deep thought involved. Or willl there? (Pause for dramatic effect, think 80's drama.)

What I don't like about my walk to work are the mothers. Not all the mothers. Some are quite attractive and friendly and want to be around there kids. But then there are the others, the ones who make my skin prickle, the ones I want to hit with a bat and tell them to LISTEN! Your children are trying to communicate with you, open up to them, embraced their random conversation, enjoy it now while it lasts. One mother I passed yesterday was unfortunately part of the latter. Her young boy was trying to explain something he obviously found fascinating and she turned round to him and told him to shut up. To be quiet. She didn't want to hear what he had to say. So he stopped talking and my heart broke. That poor child. Yeah ok she may be at her wits end and the little blighter may not stop talking. But he's YOUR child, you CHOSE to have him so bloody well listen to him. There will come a time where he won't want to talk to you because of incidents like this and God forbid he's in actually trouble and needs someone to turn to coz mate it won't be you! And people wonder why there are hoardes of unruly children roaming the streets, screaming out for someone to listen to them. Unable to express themselves vocally they instead turn to destruction. I'm hoping that the future holds a lot more for the younger ones coming up behind us. Lets make it a little brighter for them.

For now I will retreat into the shell that is my room and continue to write about the underpass and try to forget the troubled little souls of today. Well at least for a couple of hours.

Heres hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment